City Council Announcements
July 6, 2010
A. Information Needed by Council Staff
1. In past years, the City Council would adopt an ordinance each year to approve the annual assessment on the properties incorporated within Lighting Districts L01, L02 and L03. This action renews the annual assessment levied upon each parcel of property described in the assessment list for the purpose of operation, maintenance, and electrical energy costs of street lights within the Districts. However, due to a recent change to Utah State Code, Assessment Area Act, Title 11 Chapter 42, the City is now required to hold a Board of Equalization and Review hearing every five years prior to consideration of adopting an annual assessment ordinance.
You are scheduled to adopt two
resolutions (one for Lighting District L01 and one for Lighting District L02) at
tonight’s Council meeting you will set the Board of Equalization hearing dates
as noted below. As you may recall, the Board of Equalization consists of the
following City officials: a member of the City Council, a
representative of the Office the City Engineer or Project Engineer, and a
representative of the City Treasurer’s Office. In the Resolution paperwork that
you will consider at tonight’s Council meeting, the Administration has included
the schedule noted below -- two (2) hour block of time for three consecutive
days in August allowing one hour for each District hearing.
The Board of Equalization and Review hearings will be held in the first floor conference room at 349 South 200 East. The hours are staggered to provide more opportunity for the public to attend at least one of the hearings.
Would Council Members look at the attached dates/times and let Council staff know if you are available to attend one of these Board of Equalization and Review hearings? The Administration would like to know in advance which Council Member will be attending.
COUNCIL DISTRICTS IN LIGHTING DISTRICT L01: 4, 5, & 6
COUNCIL DISTRICTS IN LIGHTING DISTRICT L02: 1, 2, 4 and 6
PLEASE MAKE NOTE: August 3 is Night Out Against Crime; and August 4th at 6:00 pm you have the Truth in Taxation hearing to attend as well.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
9:00 am to 10:00 am/Lighting
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
3:00 pm to 4:00 pm/Lighting
Carlton offered to cover this day
Thursday, August 5, 2010
5:00 pm to 6:00 pm/Lighting
Councilmember Penman said he could take August 5, 2010.
Councilmember Love said she could take August 3, 2010.
Councilmember Christensen said he could take August 4, 2010.
2. The Utah League of Cities & Towns is seeking nominations to fill six openings in September on the League’s 19-member board of directors. The nominations are limited to elected municipal officials. The League will select the six individuals at the organization’s annual business meeting in September in Salt Lake City. Terms on the board are for two years, and the board meets quarterly.
According to the League, “Nominations of individuals to serve on the Board or as Second Vice President must be submitted to the League office, in writing, no later than August 15, 2010. Those applying for Second Vice President cannot also apply for the Board of Directors.” It should be noted that the terms on the board of Council Members Jill Love and Carlton Christensen will expire in September.
Duties of board members include:
• Maintaining contact with League members within each district
• Reviewing and approving of the League's annual budget
• Participating in board meetings, retreats and conventions
• Establishing ad hoc and blue ribbon committees and appointing members of standing and Legislative Policy Committees.
The board also determines League policy, and ratifies decisions of the Executive Committee and Legislative Policy Committee.
Council staff has attached a copy of the nomination form.
The Utah League will be discussed on July 13, 2010.
The Council retreat will be discussed at a later date.