City Council Announcements
A. Decisions, Feedback & Information needed by staff
1. The Planning Division suggests the following dates for tours of the Northwest Quadrant: Tuesday, June 21; Thursday, June 23; Tuesday, June 28; Thursday, June 30. Are any days better for Council Members? Ms. Gust-Jenson said several Council Members indicated they wanted to attend. She asked Council Members to check their calendars and let staff know which dates would work best.
2. The Mayor’s Office has been contacted regarding the “City of One” campaign. Is the Council interested in following the City of Seattle in becoming a City of “One”? “ONE is a new effort by Americans to rally Americans – ONE by ONE – to fight the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty.” (Quoted from www.one.org.) Councilmember Christensen said he felt the Council should politely decline. He said he was concerned there was no input on how goals were set and the scope went beyond the Council’s municipal stewardship. He said individual Council Members could choose to support the issue.
3. Saturday morning, 8:00 am, COG meetings, generally the 2nd or 3rd Saturday of the month. The next one is tentatively set for June 18th. It is at the VECC center, to discuss the 911 system, presented by Krista Dunn (Murray Council Member and grant writer for SLC Police). Then the next Saturday morning meetings will be September and October (unknown topics). Then the ones in January – June usually deal with Legislative issues. Which month you would be available to attend? (June, September, October, January, February, March, April, May, June) Ms. Gust-Jenson said Councilmember Love selected March. She asked Council Members to let staff know. Councilmember Buhler said he would take October. Councilmember Jergensen selected January. Councilmember Christensen selected June.
4. Metropolitan Water District, Board Member Reappointment - Pat Comarell’s first term on the Metropolitan Water Board has expired, and she is eligible for reappointment. Consistent with the handling of other City board & commission reappointments, is it okay to place Ms. Comarell’s name on the consent agenda to consider her reappointment? (As an update for the other board position, the subcommittee has identified several other potential applicants for the remaining board position. They will be reviewing the applications and meeting with interested people to forward a recommendation to the full Council. There is currently one position open, and another board member’s second term will expire in January.) Ms. Gust-Jenson said Councilmember Christensen supported the reappointment. Councilmember Christensen said there was a list of 3 or 4 people he suggested the subcommittee interview because two positions would be open. He said the two appointments should be made at the same time. Councilmember Jergensen suggested having the Council take a more proactive stance with representatives from the Metropolitan Water District. Council Members were in favor of having members of the Board come to a City Council meeting.
B. For Your Information
1. Interim Financial Statements for the Nine Months Ending March 31, 2005 is attached. Let Gary know if you have any questions.