Salt Lake City Council
City Council Chambers
City & County Building
451 South State Street, Room 315
Salt Lake City, Utah
Tuesday, October 20, 1998
5:00 p.m., Some Council Members may dine together in Room 125 at the City & County Building. (The room is open to the public.)
A. BRIEFING SESSION: (Briefing time lengths are approximations only.)
5:30 - 5:55 p.m., Room 326, City & County Building, 451 South State Street.
1. Report of the Executive Director, including review of Council information items and announcements. (Estimated time: 10 minutes)
2. The Council will hold a discussion regarding the draft Recognition of Neighborhood-Based Organizations Ordinance. (Estimated time: 15 minutes)
3. The Council will hold a discussion regarding a request by Council Member Joanne Milner to request that the Administration establish criteria that will allow residents of diverse backgrounds and ethnic heritages a greater share of decision making through participation on City boards and commissions. (Estimated time: 10 minutes)
(The following items as well as items from the above
list that Council is unable to complete in Briefing
Session will be addressed in a "Committee of the Whole" setting
following the public
4. The Council will receive a briefing regarding ethics. (Estimated time: 30 minutes)
5. The Council will receive a follow-up briefing regarding a proposed ordinance amending the Salt Lake City Code to enact zoning for the Gateway District. The proposed changes include but may not be limited to: 1) creating a new D-4 Downtown District; 2) creating a new GMU Gateway Mixed Use District; 3) extending the boundary and making amendments to the text of the D-3 Downtown District; 4) making text amendments to the Sign Ordinance; 5) making text amendments to the Off-street Parking and Loading Ordinance; and 6) making text amendments to the Landscape and Buffers Ordinance. (Estimated time: 30 minutes)
B. OPENING CEREMONY:
1. Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Consider adopting a resolution focusing on children.
1. Questions to the Mayor from the City Council.
Citizen comments to the City Council (on any item not scheduled for
a public hearing, as
well as on any other City
Reappointment: Katherine (Kathy) Warner Black, Transportation Advisory
Consider approving the reappointment of Kathy Warner Black to the Transportation Advisory Board for a term extending through September 27, 1999.
Staff Recommendation: Approve.
Reappointment: Jeanette D. Watkins, Housing Authority
Consider approving the reappointment of Jeanette D. Watkins to the Housing Authority for a term extending through October 27, 2003.
Staff Recommendation: Approve.
Set Date - Petition No. 400-98-35 (Mr. Roger Sanders representing
Summit Resources, Inc./Rezone Property at 828 East Stratford Avenue)
Set date of November 17, 1998 at 6:00 p.m. to accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance rezoning property located at 828 East Stratford Avenue from R-1-7000 Single Family to RMF-30 Residential Multi-family, pursuant to Petition No. 400-98-35.
Staff Recommendation: Set date and refer to Committee of the
Whole for briefing.
Set Date (Subdivision Bonding Ordinance Amendment)
Set date of November 17, 1998 at 6:00 p.m. to accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance enacting Sections 20.08.135, 20.08.265 and 20.24.052 and amending Sections 20.08.300, 20.24.040, 20.24.050, 20.24.055, and 20.24.110 of the Salt Lake City Code, relating to bond and security requirements for subdivisions. (This amendment is to guarantee the proper installation of required street and utility infrastructure improvements within new subdivisions.)
Staff Recommendation: Set date and refer to Committee of the Whole
E. NEW BUSINESS:
F. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
Consider adopting a motion requesting (See September 16, 1997 Regular City Council minutes) to withdraw with no further action, the Legislative Action initiated by Council Member Deeda Seed requesting amortization of a non-conforming use to rent rooms to six individuals in an existing single family dwelling at 1403 Butler Avenue, in a R-1/5000 Zoning District, and provide a review and analysis of the City's ordinance on the amortization of non-conforming uses.
Staff Recommendation: Adopt.
Ordinance: (Dog Off-Leash Amendment)
Consider adopting an ordinance amending Sections 8.04.390 and 15.08.070, Salt Lake City Code, relating to animals running at large.
Staff Recommendation: Adopt revised ordinance.
Resolution: Interlocal Cooperation Agreement (Community and
Consider adopting a resolution authorizing the approval of two Interlocal Cooperation Agreements between Salt Lake City Corporation and Utah Department of Transportation for the reconstruction of South Temple Street from Main Street to Virginia Avenue; a cooperative agreement between the Utah Department of Transportation and Salt Lake City, relating to RB&G Engineering, Inc. for consulting services in connection with the reconstruction of South Temple Street from Main Street to Virginia Avenue.
(C 98-758 and C 98-759)
Staff Recommendation: Adopt.
Ordinances: Petition Nos. 400-96-68 and 400-98-17 (Request by
John Kapos to Close a Section of Major Street between Harvard Avenue and Kelsey
Avenue, and to Vacate a Section of the Main Street Subdivision)
Accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance closing a portion of Major Street between Harvard and Kelsey Avenues and between Main and State Street, pursuant to Petition No. 400-96-68, and an ordinance vacating the southern portion of the Main Street Subdivision, pursuant to Petition No. 400-98-17.
Staff Recommendation: Close and adopt.
Ordinance: Petition No. 400-98-08 (Request by Lumbermen's
Investment Corporation/Annex 52 Acres North of 1700 North Street between Redwood
Road and I-215)
Accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance extending the corporate limits of Salt Lake City to include a 52 acre parcel located north of 1700 North at 1850 West, and amending the Salt Lake City Zoning map to zone and designate the area as Residential R-1-7000 upon its annexation to the City.
Staff Recommendation: Close and adopt (note, there is a
7 day waiting period for publishing).