Salt Lake City Council
City Council Chambers
City & County Building
451 South State Street, Room 315
Salt Lake City, Utah
A. WORK SESSION: 2:00 p.m. PLEASE NOTE START TIME Room 326, City & County Building, 451 So. State St. (Agenda items scheduled during the Council's formal meeting may be discussed during the Work Session briefing. Items from the following list that Council is unable to complete in Work Session from approximately 2:00 – 6:30 p.m. will be addressed in a Work Session setting following the Consent Agenda.)
1. The Council will interview Wayne Holland, Michael Zuhl and David Ibarra prior to consideration of their appointment to the Airport Board.
2. The Council will recognize the Salt Lake City Snow Fighters and the supporting Mechanics, for their hard work and efforts during the 07-08 winter season.
3. The Council will receive a briefing regarding an ordinance vacating the north/south portion of the alley generally located at 1000 East and Lincoln Street, and Elm Avenue and Sugarmont Drive (Petition No. 400-07-03, requested by Zachary Parrish).
The Council will receive a follow-up briefing regarding an ordinance to vacate a
portion of the airspace over Main Street at 50 South Main Street, to the extent
necessary to construct a skybridge as part of the New City Creek Center with
conditions and including a sunset provision (Petition No.
400-06-38) (Item C1).
5. The Council will receive a briefing regarding an ordinance enacting the new Title 10 Human Rights Salt Lake City Code, and renumbering and amending the Salt Lake City Code, Chapter 2.78 relating to the Human Rights Commission. The Council will also receive a briefing regarding an ordinance amending and renumbering Chapter 2.92, Salt Lake City Code, relating to the Mutual Commitment Registry (currently known as the Domestic Partnership Registry).
6. The Council will receive a briefing regarding Budget Amendment No. 3 for the Fiscal Year 2007 - 2008.
7. The Council will receive a briefing regarding CDBG, HOME, ADDI, ESG, AIDS HOPWA and Interlocal Cooperation Agreement between Salt Lake City and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
8. The Council will consider a motion to enter into Closed Session for the purpose of strategy to discuss the purchase, exchange, or lease of real property when public discussion of the transaction would disclose the appraisal or estimated value of the property under consideration or prevent the public body from completing the transaction on the best possible terms pursuant to Utah Code Ann.§ 52-4-204, 52-4-205(1)(d), and attorney-client matters that are privileged, pursuant to Utah Code Ann. § 78-24-8.
9. (Tentative) The Council will consider a motion to enter into Closed Session, in keeping with Utah Code to discuss labor negotiations, pursuant to Utah Code Ann. § § 52-4-204 and 52-4-205 (1)(b).
10. Report of the Executive Director, including a review of Council information items and announcements.
City Council Member Luke Garrott will conduct the Formal Council Meetings during the month of April.
1. Pledge of Allegiance.
2. The Council will receive a presentation from students of the University of Utah, Urban Planning Graphic Communications class regarding the class design project for a portion of 700 East.
3. The Council will approve the minutes of March 13 and 18, 2008.
C. PUBLIC HEARINGS:
1. Ordinance: City Creek Center
Accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance vacating a portion of the airspace over Main Street at approximately 50 South Main Street to the extent necessary to construct a sky bridge as part of the New City Creek Center. (Petition No. 400-06-38).
Staff recommendation: Close and refer to April 8, 2008
meeting for consideration.
2. Ordinances: Close and abandon portions of Everett Avenue and 800 West as public streets
Accept public comment and consider adopting three
ordinances: (1) closing and abandoning a portion of Everett Avenue from Dexter
Street eastward to a point approximately halfway between 800 West and Hot
Springs Street as a public street, and a portion of 800 West from Everett Avenue
northward to a point approximately halfway to 1500 North as a public street; (2)
closing and abandoning a portion of Everett Avenue from a point
approximately halfway between 800 West and Hot Springs Street eastward to Hot
Springs Street as a Public Street; (3) closing and abandoning a portion of 800
West from the alleyway between Everett Avenue and 1500 North northward to 1500
North as a public street.
(Petition No. 400-06-50, requested by Utah Metal Works).
Staff Recommendation: Consider options.
3. Ordinance: Approve partial street closure located at 300 South between 5100 and 5200 West
Accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance recommending approval of partial street closure located at 300 South between 5100 West and 5200 West (Petition No. 400-06-31, requested by First Industrial Development Services).
Staff Recommendation: Close and consider options.
4. Protest Hearing: Sidewalk Replacement (SAA) Job No. 102145 and Lyman Court (SAA), Job No. 102146
Accept public comment and hear public protests to: (a) finance the cost of certain infrastructure improvements consisting of sidewalk, pavement, storm drainage and water main improvements, and all other miscellaneous work necessary to complete the improvements in a proper and workmanlike manner; (b) defray the cost and expenses of improvements by assessments to be levied against the properties benefited by such improvements; and (c) provide Notice of Intention to designate assessment area to authorize such improvements and to fix a time and place for protest against such improvements or the designation of said assessment area; and related matters.
Staff Recommendation: Close and refer to Engineering for tabulation.
1. Questions to the Mayor from the City Council.
2. Comments to the City Council. (Comments are taken on any item not scheduled for a public hearing, as well as on any other City business. Comments are limited to two minutes.)
E. NEW BUSINESS:
F. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
1. Resolution: Create California Avenue Special Assessment Area No. 103006; 4800 West to 5600 West
Consider adopting a resolution designating an assessment area to be known as the “Salt Lake City, Utah California Avenue, 4800 West to 5600 West, Special Assessment Area (No. 103006)” generally as described in the Notice of Intention designating the proposed assessment area; authorizing the City Officials to proceed with the acquisition and construction of the improvements as set forth in the notice of intention; and related matters.
Staff recommendation: Adopt.
2. Resolution: Accept bids and authorize execution of a construction contract for California Avenue Special Assessment Area No. 103006; 4800 West to 5600 West
Consider adopting a resolution conditionally accepting bids for purchasing of materials and construction work and, subject to approval of the City Engineer, authorizing execution of a construction contract with the apparent low bidder for construction of improvements within the Salt Lake City, California Avenue, 4800 West to 5600 West, Special Assessment Area (No. 103006) (the “assessment area”); providing for the reconstruction of roadway pavement, installation of concrete curbs, sidewalks, and street lighting, as well as other miscellaneous work necessary to complete the improvements in a proper and workmanlike manner (collectively, the “improvements”); authorizing the issuance of interim warrants and the addition of the interest thereon to assessable costs, and related matters.
Staff recommendation: Adopt.
1. Ordinance: Set date - Budget Amendment No. 3 for Fiscal Year 2007-2008
Set the date of April 15, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. to accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance amending Salt Lake City Ordinance No. 24 of 2007 which adopted the final budget of Salt Lake City, Utah, the Fiscal Year beginning July 1, 2007 and ending June 30, 2008.
Staff Recommendation: Set date.
2. Resolution: Confirm date - Authorizing an Interlocal Agreement relating to the extension of the Light Rail System, the alignment to the Salt Lake City International Airport and related matters
Confirm the date of April 15, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. to accept public comment and consider adopting a resolution authorizing an Interlocal Agreement relating to the extension of the light rail line to the Salt Lake City International Airport; the commitment by Salt Lake City (City) to pay to Utah Transit Authority (UTA) up to $35 Million to partially fund such project; the commitment by the City to grant to UTA (i) a franchise in all City streets required for the project, and (ii) an easement across certain Airport property; the alignment of the light rail line; the location of the stations; a reduction in the number of travel lanes on North Temple Street; matters concerning the Airport terminus of the extension project, and related matters. The public hearing constitutes, in part, a continuation of the public hearing opened by the Salt Lake City Council on December 5, 2007, and continued to a future date.
Staff Recommendation: Confirm date.